Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Sell, Sell, Sell

After two posts full of thoughts It's Hard to Say Goodbye... and ...Goodbye Again about selling stocks, I am back to the reporting about stock transactions. And what am I going to talk about? Stocks I just sold of course! Sell, Sell, Sell as the title says!!

I got rid of a few stocks in the past week or so, most of them at a good profit, one at a loss based on some of the thoughts I presented in the last two blog posts. All of these stocks are not represented in this blog because they were purchased before I began documenting my (mis)adventures. Here are the details:

The first was Amarin Corp. PLC (AMRN). This was a stock that had been sitting at the bottom of the ocean for a few years. A biotech stock that I first bought when they were at the verge of a breakthrough drug. Unfortunately, this was a case of being hit by hidden information. The drug failed, and the stock tanked dropping from my purchase price of ~$13 to between $2 and $3, where it has stayed for a few years. Then suddenly a couple of weeks ago the stock rocketed up to over $16. Once again hidden info, this time working for me; a drug they tested turns out to be very effective and with no side effects. Using a trailing stop I got out a little above $16 for an approximate gain of 23%. Ka-Ching.

Next, Apollo Global Management (APO) an asset management company I had bought when it was highly rated in the Valueline survey. It was showing a good profit but had since dropped out of favor in Valueline and it was time to get out. Another exit via a trailing stop, sold at a little above $34.50 for a net gain of about 26%. Ka-Ching.

Another money maker was Scholastic Corp. (SCHL). This is the beloved publishing company, most famously known for stories they published about a most famous wizard named Harry Potter. Perhaps you've heard of this book series!! The company is doing well, but the stock had run out of magic, so it was time to get out. A sell at almost $45 gave me a boost of a little over 17%. Ka-Ching.

Then comes the heart-breaker, Atlantic Power Corp (AT) a power/utility company that was rated highly, wasn't a price mover, but a company that paid a good dividend. Then things turned sour. I stuck around a bit in the hope that things would recover. But a few years passed with no signs of a price recovery. Then the straw that broke the camel's back... dividend went to zero. It was time to take my lumps. A sell out at $2.20 and a loss of 50%. :-( Ka-Flunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment